To effectively manage the integrity and safety of your pipeline, you must have a risk assessment plan; and this plan must make validating and understanding risk results a top priority.
When was the last time you updated your plan?
Here at Integrity Plus, we have been in the risk assessment business for awhile. We work with a wide variety of operators and assessment types, performing various risk implementations, including both qualitative and quantitative risk models. We’d love to help you update and strengthen your plan!
Here are the top 5 best practices we recommend:
- Know the regulations; specifically, 49 CFR 195.452 and 49 CFR 192.917. These hazardous liquid and natural gas regulations require pipeline operators to perform risk assessments. They must then include their risk results in their integrity assessment planning, risk rank their pipelines, and perform preventative and mitigative measure planning.
- Validate your risk algorithm. You spent all that time implementing a risk methodology and producing risk results, are you now validating those results? Have a written process for algorithm validation and specific requirements for all data, math, and algorithm issues. Once the validation is complete, communicate those findings to the needed stakeholders.
- Develop a detailed results validation process. Here’s a sample workflow of that process:
4. Verify the quality and completeness of your data. Have a detailed plan to check for data gaps and incorrect data.
5. Communicate effectively. Present your data in a way that each stakeholder (Integrity Engineers, Field SMEs, and Executives) can understand. We can help you with that by providing you with tabular and graphical charts, maps via Google Earth, risk alignment sheets, and dashboards.
These best practices allow operators to identify and aggressively address data completeness and quality issues, build confidence in risk results and then present their risk results to various stakeholders using multiple formats.
For further information on pipeline risk result validation check out our webinar, or . For other risk, compliance, damage prevention, and integrity management topics join us for our Integrity Management & Compliance Symposium May 2-3, 2017 in Galveston, TX.