An In-Line Inspection (ILI) is really just a snapshot of the current condition of your pipeline on a specific date. Depending on the technology used and when the pipeline is inspected, different “views” of the pipe’s condition are created. Which means no single ILI will give you the true condition of your pipeline.
This is where run comparisons come into play. Run comparisons help QC new data building confidence in the results, increases the value of each run, and provides data for deeper and more accurate analytics using the comparison results.
There are a handful of options when it comes to doing an ILI run comparison; completing it in-house, outsourcing to an ILI vendor, outsourcing to a service provider, or maybe your organization just doesn’t do it. Trying to decide what is best for your organization? We’ve got your benefits and drawbacks of each.
ILI Vendor Comparison
- Part of a “package deal” with an ILI run
- Experts in the technology
- Anomalies compared prior to application of interaction rules
- Raw data readily available for review
- Locked into same vendor, limiting choice and higher pricing
- Potential bias
- Can slow down report delivery
- Vendor and technology independent
- Preserve matches for future comparison
- Can compare beyond anomalies (taps, tees, etc.)
- Control over analysis, timing and priority
- Time-consuming, takes up resources
- Staff may be in-experienced or under-qualified
- Potential bias in results
Service Provider Comparison
- Same as In-House (above)
- No bias in results
- Difficulty sharing raw data for review due to size
Knowing the true condition of your pipeline, including any potential integrity threats, is an important decision-making factor and can end up saving you lots of money down the road. Using the results of effective ILI run comparisons help organizations resolve threats without digging, allow conditions to be monitored, and provide more detailed and accurate Growth, Re-inspection and other FFP analysis.
To learn more about ILI run comparison approaches and common pitfalls, view our free webinar A Look at Vendor-Agnostic ILI Run Comparison or contact the Integrity Plus ILI team to see how they can assist with your run comparisons.