At New Century Software, we have a strong history of conducting mock audits and compliance status evaluations. In fact, we’re so good, we train the inspectors. With over 20 years of combined experience, we’ve developed audit strategies and processes focused on transparent compliance demonstrations and in-depth regulatory audit preparation.
And, we’re not keeping those strategies a secret. While we always recommend a thorough prep with one of our compliance experts, we’ve compiled our top 5 tips to survive a PHMSA audit to help you out.
- Be a Good Host! Make sure logistics are taken care of. from providing clear travel details, to offering a healthy lunch.
- Document. Document. Document. Come on, this one’s easy… it’s an audit! Be prepared with an agenda, take thorough notes, and document everything during the inspection process.
- Present in Multiple Formats. Offer a dedicated computer and projector to view written program, records, and supporting info. Be sure to have sufficient paper copies available, too.
- Be Concise. Let us tell you, you’ll be answering a lot of questions. Concisely answer only what’s asked and only provide clarification if asked. Adding superfluous information is only going to lengthen the process.
- Follow Up. Draft a formal letter of audit findings right away. Be certain to address any issues and disputes – in a professional manner (don’t take anything personally), and provide any needed education regarding your assets and history.
If your compnay operates underground natural gas storage facilities, PHMSA recently released an Advisory Bulletin outlining how these should be reviewed and maintained, as well as, how integrity management programs surrounding these facilities should be developed, implemented, and updated. Our Integrity Plus compliance experts broke this bulletin down and offered ways our team can assist you and put it all into this booklet.
For more details on these tips and similar topics, come hear Integrity Plus's Margie Caughlan discuss compliance strategies at Integrity Plus's Integrity Management & Compliance Symposium May 3-4th in Galveston, TX.